Re: Link up detection bug in tg3

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 01:15:29PM -0400, Tony Battersby wrote:

> The tg3 driver is not always detecting link up when I plug the cable into my
> 3Com 3C996SX fiber gigabit ethernet card.  Here is the sequence of events:
>
> (cable unplugged)
> ifconfig eth0 up
> (plug in cable)
> ping <other machine's IP address>
> (no response)
> ifconfig eth0 down
> ifconfig eth0 up
> ping <other machine's IP address>
> (gets ping response)
> (unplug cable)
> (plug in cable)
> ping <other machine's IP address>
> (gets ping response)
>
> If the cable was plugged in when the interface was brought up with ifconfig,
> then the driver detects link up/down status just fine.  If the cable was not
> plugged in when the interface was brought up with ifconfig, the driver will
> never detect if the cable is plugged in until the interface is brought down
> and up again.  The problem exists in both Linux 2.4.20 and Linux
> 2.4.21-pre7.

What motherboard?  If SMP, try booting with "noapic".  If that fixes it,
you are seeing the same first interrupt delivery problem that I saw on a
Tyan Tiger S2466N MPX board, but only the S2466N-4M revision.

In my case, the NIC was actually sharing interrupts with another NIC and the
second NIC's interrupt on link state detection would actually fix the problem
of the first because of the shared interrupts.  Eg: I would get a link on
eth0 if eth5 was plugged in, but not if eth5 was unplugged.  Wee! :)

My eventual workaround consisted of "ifconfig eth0 down;
ifconfig eth0 up".  Does this start it working for you?

Simon-

[        Simon Kirby        ][        Network Operations        ]
[     sim@netnation.com     ][   NetNation Communications Inc.  ]
[  Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. ]
-