Power Management Hum

I have the strangest problem with my Inspiron 8200 laptop. If I enable
power management in the kernel configuration, I get a continous high pitched
beep that sounds like the PC speaker, only not as loud. This happens whether
I enable ACPI or APM, and even when I leave both disabled and only check the
"Enable power management" option. This happens both in kernel 2.4.19's stock
power management code, and with the acpi4linux patches. The hum becomes much
quieter if I remove AC power from the unit, and doesn't happen at all in
Windows or in Linux with power management disabled. It sounds like a software
generated tone, because under heavy CPU load (during a compile for example)
the hum stops intermittently. I've tried using setterm -blength 0 to turn of
the PC speaker, but it doesn't make a difference. Does anybody have any idea
what might be going on? Is there any place in the kernel power management
code that emits a tone or is the kernel exposing some sort of hardware
problem?

Thanks in advance,
	Rayiner Hashem
-