Re: restrictive firewall question

Andrew Shewmaker` wrote:

> I am behind a restrictive firewall and the company policy is to not
> allow any inbound ports to be fully open.  They have told me that if I
> initiate a connection from the inside, then the firewall will allow
> packets responding to mine through.
>
> My problem is that I want to run applications that connect to the
> access grid (www.accessgrid.org) and the server software sends back
> data on (possibly random) ports in addition to the one I initiated
> from my end.
>
> I am going to ask the developers if they could modify their software
> to initiate the new connections from the client side, but I was
> wondering if there is a tool that I could use to manually initiate
> connections over specified ports so that the firewall knows to allow
> the "responses" through.

It depends upon the specific firewall, but it may not be possible.

The simplest way of blocking inbound connections is to simply reject
any SYN-without-ACK packets; in that situation, there is nothing which
you could do on your system which would allow the connection to be
received.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn.clements@virgin.net>
-