restrictive firewall question

Hello,

I am behind a restrictive firewall and the company policy is to not
allow any inbound ports to be fully open.  They have told me that if I
initiate a connection from the inside, then the firewall will allow
packets responding to mine through.

My problem is that I want to run applications that connect to the
access grid (www.accessgrid.org) and the server software sends back
data on (possibly random) ports in addition to the one I initiated
from my end.

I am going to ask the developers if they could modify their software
to initiate the new connections from the client side, but I was
wondering if there is a tool that I could use to manually initiate
connections over specified ports so that the firewall knows to allow
the "responses" through.

Thanks for any help,

Andrew

--
Andrew Shewmaker
Associate Engineer

Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory
2525 Fremont Ave.
Idaho Falls, ID 83415-3605
-