Re: Configuring down one alias brings down all aliases

In article <233C89823A37714D95B1A891DE3BCE52142454@xch-a.win.zambeel.com> you wrote:
> One of us here are trying to remove IP aliases from an eth interface. Doing
> a "ifconfig ethx:ALIAS down" seems to bring down all other aliases which had
> IP in the same subnet. Before I dig into the code to figure out why, will
> s'one help me understand the rationale behind this?

I think it is an long standing kernel bug, or better missing feature.

The problem is the devinet_ioctl function, which does not work on alais
interfaces, But I think it is not enough to fix this, since there is no
alias depending state for the link status held in kernel.

Consider an alias interface more like a second address than a unique
interface.

Greetings
Bernd
-