Re: Complete TCP offload (or it's likeness)...

Dennis wrote:
> Actually, you have it backwards here, because having the stack on the
> card (and allowing port to port routing without a bus transfer), seems
> to be precisely what the card addresses. It seems likely that the card
> is more suited for building switches and things than general network
> device usage, however the usefulness of running something like that on a
> linux platform is a bit suspect, particularly when all of the
> value-added things you might want to do with a custom switch would be
> out of reach.

If the stack is really 100% "a switch/router on a card", it should never
need to interface with the Linux network stack at all.  All it would
need is a device node for control and configuration, reading statistics
and similar duties.

> However, Jeff is correct in that targeting the linux community of
> do-it-yourselfers is probably a bad idea. You'll be dealing with people
> who think that everything is broken and that only they, as a collective
> mind, can repair it.  They'll want you to GPL your firmware, and then
> once it becomes popular some taiwanese company will clone your card and
> you'll be out of business.

I never said nor implied anything of this sort.  In fact I disagree
strongly with these (your) statements and implications.

	Jeff

-