Netspec Traffic generator and experiment control tool

Hi Everybody,

I am sending out this email to everybody who has contacted me regarding
Netspec over the last few months along with the other Linux lists where
this might be of use. At the time, I was 'sort of' maintaining Netspec,
but not quite. And I had my hands full with other stuff, making
enhancements difficult. My friend Karthik here has been able to
coordinate a newer version 5.0 finally.

What is Netspec?
----------------
We think of it as a distributed, automated testing framework. We have
used it to perform a variety of tasks required to setup and run
network-based experiments. Some of the tasks we have accomplished are:
 - Setting up a network (configuring routers, sources, sinks, setting
   up traffic control - RSVP, Diffserv)
 - Executing repetitive commands on many machines (copying data files,
   copying reports, processing reports, etc.)
 - Log kernel instrumentation points using DSKI
   (www.ittc.ku.edu/datastream/)
 - Split up our experiments into phases, such that Phase X always
   precedes Phase Y or Phase A and Phase B happen in parallel.
 - Generating various kinds of traffic (TCP, UDP, with TOS bits,
   emulated traffic such as FTP, Telnet, etc.)
 - And all this can be done by typing a single command at ONE machine
   such as:
             netspec my-script
   where 'my-script' contains information to instructions to send to the
   various machines.

Enhancements
------------
The following are some of the enhancements in Netspec 5.0:

 - Netspec is now not limited only to traffic generation. We are using
   it for 'Total experiment control' TM :). This facility was present
   before but sort of 'hidden' by its traffic generation capabilities.
 - Clean up of Netspec source with new features.
 - Improved documentation; new document which builds up on existing one
   and describes newer features in detail.
 - Removed problems with ATM dependencies.
 - Compilation on a newer glibc (RH7.1).
 - New variable-phase execution with multiple combinations of serial and
   parallel phases possible.
 - New simple 'system command' daemon which can act as a template for
   creating your own daemons and which also works if you need to execute
   some existing commands on multiple machines. It is the simplest daemon
   possible.

So I thought you people might want to retry it if you were unsuccessful
at first. Give it a try if you want and see if it works for you now.

Grab it at: http://www.ittc.ku.edu/~ntkarthik/Netspec-5.0.tar.gz
Official Website: http://www.ittc.ku.edu/netspec/

For more help, you can contact ntkarthik@ittc.ku.edu and if he is not
available, then I should be able to answer your queries. If both of us
disappear by virtue of graduation, then our advisor Dr. Niehaus
(niehaus@ittc.ku.edu) should be able to help. We welcome new additions,
corrections or short HOWTOs to add to our documentation as well as
patches to the code.

Regards,
Amit

--
I'm an angel!!! Honest!
The horns are just there to hold the halo up straight.

-