[no subject]

Hi all,

    I did this experiment with the a set of two processes behaving as a
sender/receiver set on the same Linux machine. What the experiment was
that---

"The sender has to send some fixed-size (20 bytes) mesgs to the receiver but
the receiver has not to pick-up anyone of them."

 What has been observed is, TCP buffers the first 32 messages into the
receive socket queue of receiver, AND THEN it stops sending ack's for next
mesg. As a result, the sender keeps on trying to send the 33rd mesg, but
gets no ack's and connection gets down within 15-20 minutes. Another
important observations about this experiment are :

1) These two processes were running on the same Linux system with kernel
version 2.2.xx. This problem doesn't come with Linux-kernel 2.4.xx.

2) If these processes are run on different Linux m/c's with kernel 2.2.xx,
the problem doesn't appear.

3) The socket APIs used for sending/receiving mesg are send()/recv().

4) The problem has no relevance with the size of mesg. I have seen the same
behavior with 1-byte mesg to 1k-byte mesg.

Can anyone tell me if there is any bug/limitation with the Linux-kernel
2.2.xx in comparison to kernel 2.4.xx in the above problem-context??

Saurabh Bansal

-