Re: Re Re: [patch] epic100.c - activating fiber interface for the SMC EtherPower II NIC

Hi Andrew, hi Christoph!

On Wednesday 03 July 2002 16:16, Christoph Dolina wrote:
> > Have you been able to test this patch on 100baseT and 10baseT
> > cards?
[...]
> P.S.: We tested the driver successfully with following devices:
> SMC TX/FX to 100BaseT Switch
> SMC TX/FX to 10BaseT Switch
> SMC TX/FX to 100FX Switch
> also
> SMC TP-only to 100BaseT Switch
> SMC TP-only to 10BaseT Switch

Christoph: thank for your technical details - and THANKS for your great work!!
(forgot this today in the afternoon, sorry)

Andrew: I just want to add some details of our test, so you'll get an idea of
our test base:

I installed the newest version of our patch/driver today on 48 Fujitsu-Siemens
Pentium III workstations in our university. These machines are for public
use, are running 24x7, and will be used every now and then by different
people...

Also, I installed the driver today sucessfully on a Compaq-dual-processor
server with SMP kernel. A 2nd one will follow the next days.

All these machines have the SMC EtherPower II FTX card and are connected to HP
ProCurve Switches via the FX interface.

I'll certainly report any problems we face with these machines here ASAP...

The other combinations (SMC9432FTX card to 100BaseT switch, SMC9432FTX card to
10BaseT Switch/hub (not sure), SMC9432TX to 100BaseT and 10BaseT Switch/hub)
were only tested for some time today (mainly "ping -f" tests, severel plug
ins and outs) as we don't have any of these combinations in use with Linux
permanently.

So, I think the main things we need now are some time of experience with our
machines and someone who will test the modifications on a SMC9432BTX with the
BNC connector. But I doubt that there are still many of these cards out
there, so perhaps it isn't that important...  What do you think, Andrew?

What are the prospects our patch will go in the 2.4.X-kernel soon? Any
additional ideas for improvement? TIA!

- --
Ciao,

Gernot