Re: [patch] epic100.c - activating fiber interface for the SMC EtherPower II NIC

Gernot Hillier wrote:

> Hi!
>
> As we have many SMC Etherpower II cards installed in Intel-workstations in our
> university (UAS Landshut, Germany), we were very disappointed that the
> Kernel-Driver epic100.c didn't support the fiber interface of these cards.
>
> So I convinced a college, who has some knowledge about NICs and MIIs to have a
> look at the driver and he finally manged to get the epic100.c-driver to work
> with the fiber interface of these cards.

Thanks for that..

It would be better to implement this in the driver open routine.
The media timer function is effectively operating in interrupt
context and the mdio_read() function has no protection between
interrupt and non-interrupt context.

But epic100 is already performing mdio functions in its timer
handler.  If someone was running ethtool in a tight loop it
would probably fail quite quickly.  Oh well.

Have you been able to test this patch on 100baseT and 10baseT
cards?

-
-