Tricky Routing advice needed

Hi!

Here's a tough one for all you problem solvers, which might be
of no use whatsoever in the real world, but is academically
challenging nevertheless.

We have been assigned a task to connect a remote host over an
access network to the main network. To put this in ASCII art:

remote host             main network
    ---                    ---
    | |                    | |
    ---                    ---
     |                      |
     |                      |
     |                      |
    ---                    ---
    | |---access network---| |
    ---                    ---
  router1 (linux)         router2 (linux)

Sounds simple. But isn't (at least for us).
Main network is assigned an IP network (eg. 10.0.0.0/24).
Unfortunately, the 'remote host' has an IP address in this
network too, and this can't be changed. In fact, the whole
purpose of this setup is to relocate the remote host from
the main network to a remote location without altering
any configuration of the mein network or remote host.

The assignment is to configure the linux routers in such a
way that the remote host can access the main network and
every host in the main network can access the remote host
in a transparent way, which means:

- ARP
- DHCP
- IP

...must all work transparently.

Tunneling is not an option, since the packets must be inspectable
by the access network.

Weird setup, but it definitely adds some fun to the challenge :)

We looked into the linux 2.4 packet filter and other capabilities,
and the solution approaches so far contain:

1. Solution
===========
For ARP, router2 on the main network gets assigned the IP address
of the remote host. Therefore, it answers ARP requests and get's
all packets destined for remote host.
The problem with this is, how can the packets destined for remote
host be forwarded away from router2, when it has an own
interface with this IP address?

2. Solution
===========
Use proxy ARP. As I understand, this only works for networks which are
directly connected to the router. So, router2 can't use proxy ARP.

3. Solution
===========
Could NAT help us in any way? We don't think so, although 'creating
null mappings' in Rusty's NAT HOWTO suggest this could be possible.

Another trap: How do we tell router1 to answer ARP for all addresses
in the main network ?

At this point, we can't come up with a solution that solves these
problems. Therefore, even pointers in which direction we should
concentrate our efforts or references to solutions of simlar problems
would be great.

Please note the fact that we know that this setup does not use IP
in the way it is desingned, since using proper addressing would
solve all those problems immediately (DHCP needs helper anyway)
without any hassle, but the IP address of the remote host cannot
be changed.

Any hint or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Even flames
about the setup are gladly discarded since we can't change it :)

Gruß,
Walter
--
Fraunhofer-Einrichtung Systeme der Kommunikationstechnik (ESK)

Walter Zimmer                    Hansastraße 32
Dipl.-Inf.                       D-80686 München
                                 Telefon:  +49(0)89-547088-344
walter.zimmer@esk.fraunhofer.de  Telefax:  +49(0)89-547088-221
-