Writing protocol independant network applications in kernel space.

After searching through the kernel sources and a fair amount of mailing
lists looking for insight on the problem of writing protocol independant
network apps in kernel space and coming up empty handed,  I am hoping
that linux-net would be the appropiate place to ask this question.
(apologies in advance if I am incorrect).  Is there a preferred way to
do this along the lines of POSIX 1g's getaddrinfo/getnameinfo that
currently resides in glibc?

You many be saying to yourself why should such an little used and
obviously userspace application orietented set of functions be
implemented in the kernel?  Should not something as frivolus as writing
an protocol independant app actually be part of the program itself?!  I
can think of a couple good reasons why these assumptions are incorrect.
The immediate being the slow but unavoidable migration of certain
network apps moving into kernel space (khttpd and the like comes to
mind),  and getaddrinfo is without a doubt the preferred and least
painful way of making these kernel-space network applications IPv4/IPv6
independant.  Another would be the simple fact that getaddrinfo and its
friends are fairly simple to implement,  and would require at most a few
hundred lines of code.

If the consenuses view is infact this would be an adventagous thing then
I would like to step up to write the implemenation,  if not then please
suggest a better way or at least agree that this is indeed a problem
that needs addressing.

Comments and suggestions?

	Nick Bellinger

(usual "please CC me because im not on the list" goes here)

-