Re: NIS won't authenticate users

Thanks. I did indeed check all these things, but it didn't help. In the
end I gave up and rebuilt the machine with RH 7.2 (ie not a beta) and it
worked more or less perfectly - the only trouble is that the servers
running the NIS are still running RH6.2, so only support 8 char
passwords, whereas the new setup supports longer passwords and doesn't
automatically truncate when you log in. All this means that I get
authenticated ok, but only if I type in the first 8 chars of my password
and no more.

<sigh> I'll just have to upgrade all the servers... :)

I should know by now that with beta releases, anything that looks like
it's probably alright probably isn't.

Paul

ps Sorry, I should have said thanks sooner!