Re: NIS won't authenticate users

Well, I'm not an NIS guru, but this is what I'd try...

You do have the line:
+::0:0:::
or something similar in /etc/passwd right? The line needs to have 1 less
colons than are fields in your /etc/passwd file, which should be 7 fields.
This line can look different depending upon what NIS users you want to
allow onto the system. If its there, I'd still double and triple check
by looking through Red Hat's docs that you've got it right.

Are you using md5 passwords? I've heard, but don't have first hand
experience that enabling md5 passwords can cause problems with NIS.

Check /etc/nsswitch.conf, passwd and group should probably be set to
'compat'.

If that all fails, I'd check that its not a problem with the /bin/login
thats on your system. Off hand the only thing that I know that doesn't use
/bin/login is ssh (atleast not by default). So if you can get
authenticated properly with ssh I'd say try replacing /bin/login. Just be
careful if you do, since if you replace it with a version that for
whatever reason doesn't work at all, it might become pretty difficult to
get in.

-Don

-