Re: NDD-a-like

Simon Stewart wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 09:45:15AM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > The thing you are missing is that your eepro100 driver doesn't support
> > any of ethtool's capabilities :)  Note the disclaimer in my message,
> > requires driver support.
>
> I did spot the disclaimer, and figured that must be the case with the
> eepro100 after my brief experiment, but didn't let it stand in the way
> of the rest of my point (why let facts get in the way of a good story
> :)
>
> > To reiterate, mii-diag is a legacy tool that works right now with a
> > subset of hardware... for the future, ethtool will support gige, fiber,
> > and various other scenarios.  For example ethtool is fully implemented
> > for Intel's e1000 gige driver, sun/ppc GEM gige driver, and several
> > other drivers.
>
> Since the information presented by ethtool and mii-diag is largely the
> same for the "subset of PCI-based, MII-based hardware" is there any
> reason why the only one of this small subset I have access to doesn't
> work with the new tool? How hard would it be to get the eepro100
> driver understanding the newer ioctls?
>
> I'm asking from the pov of someone who wants to start hacking the
> kernel and providing something useful, rather than as a fully fledged,
> "been hacking the kerenl since 0.99" expert Linux kernel developer.

Not hard at all, actually.  Take a look at the changes in 2.4.18-pre4.
drivers/net/mii.c was added, which is nothing more than code which you
can call from each driver to provide instant ethtool support... if it's
normal MII hardware.  Several drivers including (for example) epic100.c
show examples of converting a Becker-style driver over to this new
interface.

You can even check out from gkernel cvs linux_2_4/drivers/net/eepro100.c
to see an example of what a conversion might look like.  [unfortunately
this eepro100 has other changes in it too, which is the reason why it
has submitted to Marcelo/Linus yet]

So...  if you wanted to give it a shot, most of the work is already done
for you.  All you would need to do is gather the pieces together, test
your new and spiffy eepro100 ethtool support, and send me and
linux-kernel a patch :)  [read Documentation/SubmittingPatches for more
info]

	Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik      | "I went through my candy like hot oatmeal
Building 1024    |  through an internally-buttered weasel."