Re: NDD-a-like

Simon Stewart wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 01:56:41PM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 05:56:25PM +0000, Simon Stewart wrote:
> > > * Link status (connected? disconnected?)
> > >
> > > * Physical connector type (BNC, RJ45?)
> > >
> > > * Connection speed (10/100/1000Mbps? Was this determined by
> > >   autosensing?)
> > >
> > > * Full or half duplex?
> > >
> > > In addition, it would be handy to be able to force some of these
> > > settings (such as connection speed) should I need to. There are tools
> > > such as mii-diag out there, but these appear to be specific to each
> > > net device driver, and are therefore wholly unsuitable for automated
> > > testing (such as by a generic script run from a cron-job)
> >
> > mii-tool can do all that for most drivers (but not all because they need to
> > support some special ioctls) It should be included in newer distributions.
>
> I stand corrected. mii-diag does do what I need. Thanks! It looks like
> there's not much call for a procfs based alternative, is there? Might
> still be a nice starter project to get into kernel hacking, though....

Actually, "ethtool" is the desired tool for this job.
http://sf.net/projects/gkernel/

mii-diag only works for a subset of ethernet hardware, the hardware that
supports MII interface properly.  Further, the SIOCxMIIxxx interface
does not support all the NIC diagnostic and tuning one would like to
do.  That's why ethtool interface was created.

Now, with that said, it should be noted that like mii-diag, not all
drivers yet support this interface.

	Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik      | "If you notice the scheduler,
Building 1024    |  you need more processors."