Making private networks more accessible

Hi, folks.

Good news: this e-mail is neither a bug report nor a request for
help in configuring something... :-) Rather, I'd like to present an
idea and ask for your opinions and comments.

It is about a way of making private networks (those with IP addresses
in the ranges 192.168/16, 172.16/12 or 10/8) more accessible to
incoming connections from Internet, almost as if they had globally
valid IP addresses, for those users wishing to run servers or
peer-to-peer applications that don't behave well with NAT/NAPT/ALG.

While my solution seems good to me, it might perfectly well have
flaws because of things I forgot to consider or things I am
misunderstanding. It is also possible that I am "reinventing the
wheel" because of something with similar functionality that is
already being developed. I also ask you to try pointing out such
flaws.

I suppose this list (linux-net) is subscribed by people that deeply
understand networking protocols like IP, IPIP and NAT, so it would
be the best place to discuss my idea. If that is not the case, please
let me know. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Since the document I prepared is somewhat big for an e-mail,
I decided to put it in a web page. Please visit it at:

http://www.geocities.com/peddubr/re.html

Thanks a lot!

Paulo E. F. Castro
State University of Campinas, Brazil