Re: IPTOS_LOWDELAY in netinet/ip.h is incorrect??

"David S. Miller" wrote:

>    From: Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>
>    Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 08:43:52 -0700
>
>    I think that #ifdef code should be changed to check for the
>    run-time enabled-ness of ECN.  Also, is there a way to turn
>    ECN on/off for a specific socket only?
>
> Wrong, a host adhering to the ECN rfc designates the new meanings of
> these bits.

Fair enough, but when I specifically disable ECN through the /proc/ interface,
then I should be able to set the bits as specified in 1349 or whatever.  It's
not critical path code, so the extra if () check is meaningless, and the
flexibility would be welcomed by me :)

Is there a way to specifically turn on/off ECN for a given socket,
like through setsockopt?

> In fact I would argue that the lowest two bits should be zapped out
> for TCP sockets even when CONFIG_INET_ECN is not set.

I would like to be able to simulate all kinds of RFC's for testing
purposes.  If you zap the two bits then it just makes my (and anyone
else who wants to try out old RFC behaviour) lives harder, without
helping anyone that is actively running ECN.

Did you look at the different bit-ordering in RFC 1349?  For what it's
worth, Ethereal also seems to use the bit-ordering as described in 1349.

Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>          <Ben_Greear@excite.com>
-