Re: Problems with Two VIA-Rhine Cards in 2.4.*?

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Charles Tassell wrote:

> I'm having some strange problems with two different systems running the
> 2.4 kernel (2.4.3, 4, and 5 tested) with two VIA Rhine cards (D-Link 530TX
> card I think, they are definately the VIA VT3043 Rhine chipset though).
>
> The problem is that every once in a while, the network will just drop, no
> traffic will flow for a few seconds/minutes, nothing shows up in the logs
> (*.* /var/log/everything in syslog) and then it will suddenly correct
> itself.  Sometimes doing a ping from the machine to an outside host will
> bring everything back up immediately.

Do you get a kernel log message about "Transmit timed out" when this
happens? Oh, no, you don't ...
(not even a tiny little something in 'dmesg'? :)

The driver only reacts to interrupts, one per received packet. If one
interrupt is missed I guess it would just sit there. A ping where the
interrupt isn't lost makes it find the queued packets.

My only problem with that idea is: does your machine sometimes have
minutes between something being sent?

What motherboards (w/ chipset if you know) do the systems have?

> Now, I have another machine that has one VIA Rhine card (same D-Link) and
> a tulip card (D-Link 528 or 538 I think, Digital DC21041 Tulip rev 33)
> where this problem does not occur.

On the same network, I assume. What happens if you switch one of the
via-rhine cards for the tulip card?

> Any ideas?  Should I try using the original Donald Becker driver at
> http://www.scyld.com/network/via-rhine.html or is Jeff's modified version
> that is in the current source tree considered to be more current?

They are relatively close (that's the idea anyway). But if you compiled
the kernel tree version as a module, switching to Donald's version
shouldn't be too difficult. It's certainly worth trying.

/Urban

-