Re: problem with 3c505 [bounce buffers???]

Philip Blundell <philb@gnu.org>, on Thu Jun 07, 2001 [08:36:30 AM] said:
> >	Ive tried a 2.2 redhat kernel, and now under 2.4.5. (the
> >former as a module, the later, built in) The driver seems to
> >detect the card, its io and interupt fine (they match what the
> >jumpers say, at least, and dma is jumpered to 6) , and the card
> >sends and receives packets, but they are complete garbage.
>
> Judging from your logs, everything is working fine except that DMA transfers
> are either not happening or transferring the wrong data.

	Hi.

	Well, I got the card to work by restricting my memory to
16M. From ..../Documentation/memory.txt:

	2) You cannot do DMA on the ISA bus to addresses above
16M.  Most device drivers under Linux allow the use of bounce
buffers which work around this problem.  Drivers that don't use
bounce buffers will be unstable with more than 16M installed.
Drivers that use bounce buffers will be OK, but may have slightly
higher overhead.

	So, perhaps the 3c505 driver doesnt use bounce buffers?
How hard would this be to rectify? If someone could give me some
pointers, perhaps I could try...

Paul
set@pobox.com

-