Re: voip -port forwarding ?

On 9 May 2001, Jones Olatunji wrote:
> I have a network behind a firewall that from which I would like to enable some of my clients to use some internet phone devices like yapgear and infoacel card. My firewall is on my gateway which is on RHlinux machine -implemented with ipchains for NAT.
>
> I was told putting my clients on a public IP will solve my problem , i.e outside my firewall. This I don't want to considering the security risk; hence I am planing to try port forwarding with ipchains to see if I can get around this.
>
> Has anybody done this before, I am not too familier with VOIP either, how can I find out what port to use ?

VoIP uses a very complex signalling (sure, it's based on ISDN specs...),
allocates ports dynamically, embeds them in the packet data etc.

The traffic is in effect un-NAT'table, un-firewallable (effectively; you
have to basically allow all >1024 UDP or so) and un-portfarwardable.

Commercial implementations that do this do exist.

One solution for Linux might be setting up a H.323 proxy in the firewall;
this should work from behind NAT at least.  See
http://www.linuxtelephony.org for some pointers.

-