limiting MRU on an ethernet device ?

I would like to know if it is possible to reduce the MRU on an ethernet
device in the same way that it is possible with the PPP code.

Unfortunatly my cable internet provider seems to have broken my network
link in such a way that incoming short (64 byte packets) have almost no
packet loss but large (1500) byte packets have a 50% packetloss (the
distribution between these extremes seems linear)

While I am waiting for my ISP to find a skilled tech to look at the
problem I was wondering it is possible for me to reduce the MRU on my
ethernet port. I belive this should cause ICMP Fragmentation required
packets to be sent in response to large packets.  Hopefully this would
cause the path MTU discovery on remote hosts to send smaller
packets.  These packets might then have a chance of arriving :)

I am currently running a late 2.2 kernel - but would be willing to upgrade
to 2.4 if this would offer a solution.

Thankyou for your assistance

Stephen

-