Problems with name resolution?

Hi everyone.

I recently upgraded from RH6.0 (kernel 2.2) to RH7.0 (kernel 2.4) and
now I experience a problem with network behaviour.

I have a small network of 3 computers connected to a local LAN via NAT
(one of mi machines is NATing).

I resolve internal names with the /etc/hosts file, and all other names
via the nameserver of my LAN (in fact I need one hop to reach the DNS
server, but it's OK).

Some services that require to resolve names via the DNS are slow (for
instance, I send a ping to the external LAN and it takes some 7-10 secs
to answer. When it does, I receive the first 5 packets at once.

If I run tcpdump -p, it does not print packets. When I interrupt it, it
says "<many> packets not read yet". If I run tcpdump -p -n (do not
resolve IP addresses into hostnames), it dumps all packets.

FTP services from one of my local machines to another local machine
takes time to complit. It takes some secs before it asks for
user/password.

All these things didn't happen to me whith RH 6.0/kernel 2.2. What can
be the cause (I have compiled with netfilter, with iptables and with
ipchains support, but I still use my ipchains scripts).

/etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf, are correctly configured.

I've also configured the /etc/nsswitch.conf file.

For resolving hostnames, I use first "files", then "dns".
For resolving passwd/shadow/group, I use "files nisplus nis" (but I have
no NIS installed).
For resolving publickeys I use "nisplus"
For resolving everything else (services, protocols..), I use "files".

Any clues?

Regards,

Mariano Korman
-