Re: iproute2 tools

>   (BTW, are you aren't masquerading everything out of each of those
>   interfaces?  Without using something like BGP, I don't see how you
>   could be multi-homed and carry bare network traffic out into any
>   of three internet gateways, then have it work to get the traffic
>   back to you again).
Obviously he has to be masquerading because the traffic would never get
back to him without him doing some BGP and having an ASN. However the
question of switching also intrigues me. I would love to see how to make
gated do things internally without consulting upstream routers. But in
this case I wonder if one cannot write a simply script that simply pings
the respective upstreams and then if the current default does not respond
removes the route. I guess one can then configure which is the gateway
with highest priority such that when it comes back up it is put back in.
The only problem I envision with this approach is that the link to the
upstream may be up while the upstream's link to the outside world may not
be up. And one cannot use  a host out there for their pings since you may
get false changes when that particular host is down and it appears as if
all your links are down.
regards,
Noah.

-