Re: iproute2 tools

On Mon Apr 09 2001 at 15:09, Andi Kleen wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 04:13:01PM +0300, Joseph Begumisa wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a situation where I have 3 network cards connected to different
> > ISP's but I am so far using one as the default gateway for a local area
> > netwok.  However, if that ISP is down I have to manually change the
> > gateway to the 2nd ISP.  Now I know this is possible automatically using
> > the iproute2 tools such that when one ISP is down, the traffic is
> > automatically rerouted through the 2nd ISP and you can also do load
> > balancing over the three links.  The question is how do I do
> > this?
>
> You have been misinformed. iproute2 doesn't support that.

I'm wondering if a routing daemon (routed/gated) would do the trick?

gated can be configured to priortise routes, then dynamically move
default routes around when the more prefered ones becomes
unreachable and re-established again.

  Heh, not the usual way to use a routing daemon... in this case it
  would be have to be configured to run "internally" within the
  router, rather than do any taking or broadcasting to other
  external routers (I assume you can't do that).

 (Is there such a thing as a kernel routing deamon that could do
 things like this? :)

This question interests me... I could potentially find myself
dealing with similar situations.  So if there is a an elegant
solution to this, I'd like to know of it.  :)

I haven't had a chance to look closely at the new iptables/netfilter
stuff in the 2.4.x kernels.  It seems you can use it to cast all
sorts of interesting and twisted spells over the network traffic
going through a router, so I wouldn't be suprised if some new
functionality might be there to be harnesses for this purpose?

  (BTW, are you aren't masquerading everything out of each of those
  interfaces?  Without using something like BGP, I don't see how you
  could be multi-homed and carry bare network traffic out into any
  of three internet gateways, then have it work to get the traffic
  back to you again).

Cheers
Tony
-