Re: default route problem

On Mon, 09 Apr 2001, Kolařík Michal wrote:

> I've got this problem.
> If I add default route #route add -net default gw x.x.x.x
> comand seems to be OK, if I run netstat I can see my default route here.
> But I can't ping nothing include my own iterface IP adres, if I delete
> default
> route -> ping runs.

I had a similar problem once and a partial culprit turned out to be
'ping'.

When there is no default route and thus your machine typically doesn't
have access to a name server, ping will run happily without trying to
resolve the IP addresses it sees.  When there is a default route but
it is somehow broken, ping will try to resolve all the IPs and it
takes ages to time out.  Try using 'ping -n' and you should be able to
ping your own interface IP.

There is probably still something else that is broken as the DNS
doesn't work, but hopefully this helps in getting started with fixing
those problems.

Antti
-