2.2.18/kernel-turbopacket.dif - 2.4.2/PACKET_RX_RING

Folks,

I've been using 2.2.18 with a patched af_packet.c per some old libpcap
mods (Alexey) on a dual cpu pentium III 450 (FDDI) system.  Early on I had
problems which surfaced whenever I ran an application that created
child processes.  I instrumented the libpcap library to sense this
condition (that of a positive return from a poll system call, but a
subsequent check of the ring finding no packet resulting in falling back
into the poll [which unchecked created a rather tight infinite loop]).
This only happened when an application created child processes (apparently
the ring was passed on to one of the child processes that had no use
for it).  The 'tcpdump' application worked fine, never falling into the
poll problem.  The 'snort' application also worked fine.  I've had good
success using the memory mapped ring buffer approach to packet capture.

Recently, I upgraded to 2.4.2, no patches, recompiled libpcap such that
PACKET_RX_RING comes into play.  Now, I'm seeing my old diagnostices in
"pcap-linux.c:packet_ring_recv", that indicate that the poll system call
thinks I will find a packet on the ring, but when I go to check the ring,
there is nothing.

Consequently, I downgraded to 2.2.18.  Any help?

Thanks,

Phil
-