Re: Urgent! Firewall and Proxy

The easiest way to do this is to keep things simple.

Put these consultants in a separate subnet, and build your chains in
ipchains to allow traffic to the internet via a certain interface.

Your firewall should have 2 or more ethernet cards in it.  For example:

eth0 is connected to the inside
eth1 is connected to the internet or your internet router/proxy.
Assuming the intranet's addresses are in the 192.168.0.x/24 subnet.

Assuming these consultants are on the inside of the firewall, you should put
them in a separate subnet, say 192.168.2.0/24, and deny traffic to the
intranet servers that they are not supposed to access.  If there are 100
they are not supposed to access, and only 1 they are allowed to access, you
could build your chain to deny traffic from their subnet, then allow from
the 2.x subnet to the 0.y address.

Also be sure your proxy is truly on the outside and is not "reflecting"
traffic back onto the LAN and masquerading traffic to the servers they are
not supposed to access.

Jim Roland, RHCE (RedHat Certified Engineer)
Owner, Roland Internet Services
    "Never settle with words what you can settle with a flamethrower"
          -- Anonymous