Re: ISP Redundancy

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Plinio Barraza wrote:

> First off I would like to thank Randall Dean, Rick Blake, and James Rich
> for their help on my ISP redundancy question.-  I finally decide to
> install iproute2 as a solution but I figured out my kernel was not
> compiled properly, I need to have the  IP: policy routing  feature
> compiled.
>
> Does anyone know if there is any way to enable this feature without having
> to reinstall the kernel, a patch, or any other quick method.

>From what I read of 2.4's documentation you have to recompile the kernel
the get this feature (i.e. not run-time configurable).

> I am basicaly a little afraid to recompile the kernell at this point as I
> dont trus myself to do it right the first time.

Recompiling the kernel is not hard.  Just don't remove the kernel you are
currently using in case the new doesn't work.  Edit /etc/lilo.conf to boot
more than one image and then you can select which kernel to boot when you
restart the machine.

Rebuilding the kernel may not really be on topic for this list so feel
free to email me directly about recompilation questions.

James Rich
james@eaerich.com

-