Re: Linux and BGP4 ? (can someone point me to a howto?)

On Sat, 6 Jan 2001 linux-net@ddx.a2000.nu wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Jan 2001, Alex Pilosov wrote:
>
> > This has nothing to do with netfilter/ipchains.
> >
> > Please read up on gateD (www.gated.org) or Zebra (www.zebra.org,
> > recommended). Please be aware that configuring BGP is not for
> > faint-hearted, and BGP does not win you anything if both your ethernet
> > connections are to the same ISP.
> >
> > As I understand, you have one box colo'd at some ISP, and that ISP offers
> > you a second ethernet jack? If so, its useless to have BGP or anything...
> The reason why we want a second connection
> is because we had some downtime because a failed switch at the isp
> so the second connection will be a connection to a second switch
>
> i also saw http://bird.network.cz/ and http://www.mrtd.net/
> so why do i choose bird, mrtd, zebra of gated (or something else?)
Zebra is actually stable in production environment.

Gated is stable, however license is messy, and it has some nasty code
dating from 1980 ;)

Never heard of anyone using bird, and mrtd is more of a toolkit than a
working product.

> we have multiple boxes colo'd behind one linux router (which works great)
> so i'm looking at a deamon or kernel patch for using bgp4
> and still being able to use ipchains (and later ipfilter) for
> firewall/accounting rules
kay, now it makes a bit more sense. still, it is quite a lot of work to
configure just to get around a failed switch. In my experience, switches
don't fail. Its probably the most damn reliable piece of network equipment
(cuz usually they are relatively dumb). Routers can fail, long-distance
cables can fail, switches usually keep on working...

That being said, you will need a lot of cooperation from your provider to
get it to work. Namely, you'll need:
1) to agree on a 'private AS' for you
2) you MUST BGP peer to different routers or at least different
interface/IP on the same router.

Hmm, that's about it. You probably will need to take default by BGP, and
take the minimum number of routes via BGP (actually you really need ONLY
default route).

Enjoy the pain.
-alex

-