Re: Linux and BGP4 ? (can someone point me to a howto?)

Also sprach Mr. James W. Laferriere
>	Hello Whomever ,  BGP has -NO- functionality -UNTIL- you have more
>	than one provider .  Is that part understandable ?

What you say is understandable, but, unfortunately, wrong.

Multiple connections to the same ISP can be arbitrated by BGP, if, for
no other reason, that BGP gives you a reliable way to tell if the next
hop router is alive (if it can talk BGP, it most likely can pass
packets).

>	All you will get for your efforts is the present BGP tables that
>	-YOUR- provider wishes to send to you .

Even just sending a default route via BGP to a customer from multiple
connections can be useful.

>	BGP is for making routing decisions across MULTIPLE connections to
>	MULTIPLE providers .  Hth ,

Indeed...that's where BGP shines most (well...let's not go there...BGP
has plenty of problems, but its the best tool available for the job
currently), but even running BGP to a single upstream provider can be
useful.
--
Jeff McAdams                            Email: jeffm@iglou.com
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848