Re: TIOCOUTQ, SO_SNDBUF

> > This means the call is rather useless...
>
> Sorry?

A syscall whose only effect is to return a value, and which does not
return the value it should, is not too useful. (Just think what would
happen if someone accidentally swapped getpid() and getppid() in some
mainstream versions of the kernel or libc.)

Sure it would be possible to add autoconf tricks to select the
version, but then the resulting binary would break on the next system
upgrade. Or a runtime version test? Ugly.

> SO_SNDBUF has nothing common with "application" send buffer.
> It is internal kernel buffer.

What I mean is: I want to allocate an application buffer which keeps
data until I can be sure, by way of a checkpointing mechanism
implemented by the application, that it has been delivered to the
other end. What I want to know is how big this buffer should be.

But the whole design is in such an early stage, perhaps I'll go for a
buffer list or something.

Olaf
-