Re: How does equal cost multipath works to route.

On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 01:55:08PM +0100, Andrea Glorioso wrote:
> This is how I understood it (and I would greatly appreciate any
> correction on this):
>
> . if you specify two routes with an equal metric value (using the
> "metric" or "preference" keyword), load balancing is done on a per
> connection basis;

No, it is done on a per route base (which is normally, but not always,
selected based on the IP of the destination). There is currently no
support to bind routes to individual streams.  You can change it using
policy routing or fwmark routing though, but that is static.

> . if you specify the "equalize" keyword on two routes (which of course
> must have the usual triplet matching) then load balancing is done on a
> packet basis;

In this case the route is just recomputed for every packet. Without it
the route stays cached and bound to a specific nexthop (unless the nexthop
dies)

> . I tried to analyze the code (net/ipv4/fib_semantics.c) but I
> couldn't understand where the "weight" parameter came from, given also
> that the "weight" keyword in the ip user level command refers to
> multicast routes.

Weight it set by the nexthop parameter for ip route.

-Andi

-