tcp + udp problem

Hello,

I'm writing an application to distribute a "master-computer" to all other
computers in a classroom. They're connected with a 10 Mbit/s LAN and there's
no router between them. I want to use multicast, to keep the network-load
somewhat acceptable. The data is sent with udp-packets (to 225.0.0.1) and
the server sends a tcp-packet to all connected clients after 255 udp-packets.
The clients should respond with a list of missed udp-packets, which will
be resend by the server. I don't know if this is a good technique at all, but
i'm having problems with the order of the packets.
For testing-purposes, i've limited the trafic to 5 udp-packets of each
max 8192 bytes. With tcpdump, i can verify that these 5 udp-packets are
sent before the tcp-packet. I ran tcpdump on both the server and a client,
but the kernel always passes the tcp-packet as first packet to my application
(i'm using select on a fd_set of an udp- and tcp-socket; once the select
returns, i first check for the udp-socket). Is there a way
to tell the kernel, that it should pass the packets in the order they were
received, or pass the udp-packets first ?

Kindly regards,
Michael Devogelaere.

-