Re: Newbie ask

I'm posting this to the list in case anyone else is interested. Most Linux
distros come with a tool for monitoring traffic called "tcpdump". For
basic monitoring of a host or two, this will suffice. If you require more
function than provdied by tcpdump, I would suggest Ethereal
(http://www.ethereal.com, formerly ethereal.zing.org). Ethereal provides a
gui interface, sorting features, stream following, and decodes for many
common and some not so common prototcols. These decodes allow you to
better understand what is happening on your network.

Someone has also metioned the hub vs switch issue, but merely grazed the
surface. For monitoring, all you need to know is that in a shared Ethernet
environment you can monitor all traffic from all hosts from any port on
the hub. In a switched environment, you need to configure one of the ports
on the switch to mirror all traffic from each port in order to properly
monitor traffic. There are limitations in a switched environment as many
stations can transmit simultaneously to various endpoints. If two stations
are transmitting at a total rate greater than the speed of the monitor
port, you will loose traffic. There is no "extra buffering" in the switch
to accomodate a mirror or monitor port.