RE: Token Ring to Ethernet Bridge

> Everything seems to work just fine, except for thier linux boxes on the
> token ring side.. They cant reach anything on the ethernet segment...
> Routing isnt a problem as far as I can see.  They have a couple OS boxes
> there which stopped working aswell.. but configuring the option "Disable
> routing field support(bridge)" seems to make everything happy. I've asked
> him to recompile his kernel and make sure bridging is disable and
> everything else looks to be in order....

> Anyone else have any other ideas of what the problem could be...

If the token ring side doesn't have a default gateway without going
through the bridge it will try to source route the packets which is
probably causing the problems you see. TR can support either 18 or
30 bytes for the source routing information, Linux only supports the
18 bytes at present. We do have a complete source routing update
waiting for the 2.4 kernel as soon as its released. If you want try
a copy now to see if it works head over to the web site and grab
a copy (www.linuxtr.net).

TR->Eth bridging is nasty at the best of times, its normally far
easy to actually route between the two rather than bridge. An old
pc sitting around doing nothing would be ideal for this.

Mike
-