Re: ftp login prompt appears after a long time

I suggest that open a tty log in as root and run tail -f /var/log/messages
and then try to ftp to the machine and thus see what exactly is happening
when it takes long. One option could be that even after showing connected
it tries to do a reverse lookup of the ip to the name which hosts does not
do thus you could set up a reverse zone in your nameserver for that ip.

-