From: Glen Lee Edwards [mailto:glenlee@perluser.net]
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2000 11:44 PM
To: Pat Grogan
Cc: linux-net@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Multiple DNS's

Pat,

If I understand your question correctly this is the normal behavior when
running named.  Your named.conf file should include something like this:

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "named.root";
};

If someone uses your DNS to search for a site named will first check your
zone files to see if you have it listed or cached.  If not it will then
check the top level domain records for the DNS server that has that
specific URL.

For example, if I search for the domain perluser.org from this box, the
system will first search my DNS records.  Since they aren't there named
will then search the top level domain records off site to see who has the
domain.  The answer returned from network solutions will be
ns1.tenertech.com, so named will then query ns1.tenertech.com which will
in turn return the IP address.

Glen

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Pat Grogan wrote:

>To all,
>
>Is it possible to configure a server to use 2 DNS's in a serial type
>arrangement? That is to say if an entry is not found in the first DNS then
>consult the second DNS.
>
>The first DNS I would want to consult is on the server (linux RedHat 6.2)
>itself, then go to an external DNS.
>
>Pat Grogan
>
>E-mail: pat@rallypro.com.au
>web: www.rallypro.com.au
>
>-
>: send the line "unsubscribe linux-net" in

-
-