Re: Adding default gateway breaks networking

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Antti Honkela wrote:

> According to tcpdump the replies arrive almost instantaneously.  It
> just takes ping 74 seconds to realize that the first reply has
> arrived, and so on.

Problem solved.  It turned out that my upstream connection doesn't
relay anything from the net I tried to install the box to.  I had
checked it several times that everything should be in order at their
end, but apparently it was not.

Adding the default gateway gave the box in theory access to DNS and
thus ping tried to resolve all the IPs.  Unfortunately no traffic from
that net got anywhere and those queries all failed miserably.  The
mysterious 74 seconds is most likely ping's timeout for DNS queries.

Big thanks for everyone who has tried to help me!

Antti
-