Re: Adding default gateway breaks networking

Antti Honkela wrote:

> To be precise I can ping the gateway, the replies just don't get back
> to ping in any reasonable time.  tcpdump shows that the packets
> actually do get out and I can even see the replies with
>   tcpdump -ni eth0

Note that without the -l switch, tcpdump's output will be fully
buffered, which can result in output being significantly delayed.

> but they don't seem get any further than that.  If I wait long enough
> the first packet comes back to ping after 74 seconds and the next ones
> after that each 74 seconds after the previous one.

The timings are based upon tcpdump's timestamps, not the time when the
output appears, right?

> The same behaviour occurs with three different machines all running
> 2.2.16 kernel (RedHat 6.2/7.0 stock) with different NICs (eepro100 and
> 3c59x).  All the machines work fine in another network x.y.z'.0/24.
>
> Removing the default gateway restores the normal functionality for the
> network x.y.z.0/28, but other traffic is obviously impossible.

Odd. What is the situation on the gateway? What happens with regard to
MAC addresses when you enable/disable the default route?

--
Glynn Clements <glynn@sensei.co.uk>
-