RE: max mbits/sec using linux router (with firewall rules)

I can vouch for 96Mbit/s on a dual-fastE firewall.  Our gigE firewall hasn't
yet seen enough traffic.  The lmiting factor, however, has been
packet-per-second, not bits-per-second.  Specifically, when we hit around
20,000 pps, the firewall started dropping packets, and the console didn't
work well.  So for one of our applications that used small packets, we could
only get 20Mbit/s through.

It was explained to me that this is a limitation of interrupts per second
that a P-II or P-III chip can handle, and that each packet inbound generated
a CPU interrupt for packet checksum calculation.

I am using Tulip cards. I understand that 3com 3c9xx can do checksum
calculation on the NIC, and that Alteon GigE chipsets can do interrupt
colaescing, so you might to better with them.  But I've never done
packet-per-second testing on either of those two.

----
Dani Roisman
droisman@station.sony.com

-