Re: PPP server on Linux with mgetty

Hi,

> I have 2 problems:
> 1) How do I keep from having to run a login script, *THEN* let PPP
> authenticate the client?  (In other words, how can I just make it so that
> it automatically senses a PPP request and dumps the login prompt to start
> PPP automatically to do it's PAP authentication)

check in mgetty's config file.  The last (almost) line in the config, look
for AutoPPP and enable it.  This will allow windows to login directly with
PAP without having to do the console login.

> 2) After I got connected, I was properly assigned an IP address for the
> local LAN, and was able to ping other LAN hosts, as well as the internet
> (outside the gateway to the internet)...But I was unable to use any
> services like telnet (error was "connection refused").

Hmmm....  This seems to me like there's some sort of firewall / security
mechanism in place dis-allowing access...  if you can ping, the data is
flowing, thus you are looking at an external blockage...  (in my mind even)

> Both the login script and PAP password and IDs are the same.  The "login"
> option is active in the PPP's /etc/ppp/options file.

Regards,
Chris Knipe
Cell: (083) 430-8151

-