PPP server on Linux with mgetty

Howdy.  I'm trying to setup a Linux server for being a PPP dial-up with
Windows (testing it with Windows 2000), but at the same time trying to make
it so that no special configuration (other that putting in a phone number
and id/password) is required at the client end.

I have mgetty answering the phone line with a Fax tone, and when no fax
tone is on, it switches to data mode.  It does the handshake with the
client, and then sits at a login prompt.

The only way to login is to set Windows to turn on a terminal window, type
in the id and password, then click Close, at which time dip launches pppd.
After this is all said and done, Windows then authenticates with pppd, and
the IP address is assigned and session is started.  Authentication with PAP
works, but is not automatic (I still had to tell Win-2000 to use Advanced
settings for authentication to use PAP).

I have 2 problems:
1) How do I keep from having to run a login script, *THEN* let PPP
authenticate the client?  (In other words, how can I just make it so that
it automatically senses a PPP request and dumps the login prompt to start
PPP automatically to do it's PAP authentication)
2) After I got connected, I was properly assigned an IP address for the
local LAN, and was able to ping other LAN hosts, as well as the internet
(outside the gateway to the internet)...But I was unable to use any
services like telnet (error was "connection refused").

Both the login script and PAP password and IDs are the same.  The "login"
option is active in the PPP's /etc/ppp/options file.

I am using mgetty because I would like to use the line for myself to dial
in and get either a login prompt (for a shell prompt via modem), or a PPP
connection when I want.  I would also like to receive a FAX over this same
line.

TIA,
Jim

-