Re: suspected memory leak in sock slab / test7-pre4

Hi Alexey,

On Mon, Aug 28, 2000 at 08:50:41PM +0400, kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:
> > I'll reboot the box now. Any ideas on what THAT could have been?
>
> It loops in kernel doing schedule(), apparently.
> Just make Alt-Sysreq-p several times to see where it loops.
> I know only one place, where it is theoretically possible
> (when closing socket), but I cannot exclude some another hole.
> All the things (lossy ping) point that you are out of memory yet.

I'm sitting at the console now; everything works well until I do
'netstat' while the machine is serving its 4500 conns/s.

Just did it again: test works flawlessly. After the test,
'wc -l /proc/net/tcp' gives me 28728 (TIME_WAIT) sockets.
When I do the same /proc/net/tcp reading while the test runs,
it delivers a result (slightly over 30000), I have a new shell
prompt, but the console is dead (no num-lock toggling).
Alt-Sysreq-p still shows registers, EIP is mostly at c010727d,
which corresponds to default_idle. Apart from that I see two EIPs
in __write_lock_failed; there, EDI is c02d1f4c, which lies in irq_stat.

Hope this helps nailing it. I'll boot and go home now. Can try things
tomorrow.

(BTW, this time I used another machine, with a different ethernet card,
e1000 instead of sk98lin, and without the VLAN code.)

best regards, and congratulations for finding the previous bug so fast
  Patrick
-