QOS beginners question: simple config for bandwidth limitation

Hello to everyone,

I'm trying to understand a basic QOS setup. I read the available
documentation (like the Linux - Advanced Networking Overview at
http://qos.ittc.ukans.edu/howto/howto.html, and the iproute2+tc notes at
http://snafu.freedom.org/linux2.2/iproute-notes.html#intro) but until
now I was unable to setup a basic configuration that shows any effect.

For a basic setup to help me understand how things should be configured
I "simply" wanted to limt the bandwidth of *all* IP traffic on the eth0
interface of a certain machine to a limit of, say 1Mbit/sec.

I tried the following (basicly taken from the docs mentioned above):

tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1: cbq bandwidth 100Mbit allot 1514
cell 8 avpkt 1000 mpu 64

and added a class

tc class add dev eth0 parent 1:1 classid 1:2 cbq bandwidth 1Mbit rate
1Mbit allot 1514 cell 8 weight 100Kbit prio 3 maxburst 20 avpkt
1000 split 1:0 defmap c0

Well I hoped this would be all to do, but it shows no effect. Running

tc -s -d qdisc

shows that the qos-system sees the packets since the counters are
increased when I generate network traffic. But the overlimits counter
is always zero. So I think my configuration misses something that tells
the QOS system which packages to look at? Unfortunately I was unable to
understand how this could be done out of the docs.

Can anyone tell me how a configuration could look for my purpose?

Thanks Rainer