Re: specifically for Val Henson (re i810)

Dear Val,

I have been plugging away and gotten very close. I have tried two kernel
recompiles (the first with my 2.2.5, the second with a freshly downloaded
2.2.13) but neither list of options produced the "/dev/agpgart support"
option to which I could hapilly respond YES!.

In your initial mail you referred to the "character drivers" sectio in the
main menu, and apparently, "down near the bottom is the option for
/dev/agpgart support". From the description it sounds like (I have never
used this) make menu config, or at least a graphical based make interface.
Of course without X I can only do make config and make oldconfig. However, I
cannot assume that "/dev/agpgart support" is available graphically but not
text-ually. At the moment I am hoping I need a different kernel version in
order to be prompted with the desired option. What kernel do you have? BTW I
said yes to experimental options.

I have had many responses with regards this problem, and visited many sites
that pretend to offer help (Intel is the worst). Apparently experts
averywhere are unable to crack the XFree86 4.0 with i810 nut. I have been
advised to install 3.3.6 instead. Someone from the XFree86 team themselves
said basically that he did not understand why I was receiving AGPIOC_ACQUIRE
failed message. I now know that many others also receive that message too.
It is a shame that XFree86 claims so simply to support the i810 chipset. In
light of my experiences and browsings the claim seems at best misleading.

Because of the wide spread nature of this problem it is my intention (when I
get X working) to post a very detailed, aimed at newbies like me, set of
instructions for those fellow sufferers who still need help. It is for this
reason that I am mailing you directly again. You seem to be the only person
out there who has succeeded with this and so are a rare commodity indeed. If
you can forward me your XF86Config file (it was not attached last time) and
more basic instructions about how to get the "/dev/agpgart support" option I
would be very grateful. In the long run it will make a lot of new linux
users very happy as the i810 chipset is quite common I believe. At least in
the name of better and wider choice Linux needs all the help it can get.

Kind regards

Toby Russell