Re: your mail

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Jake Brooks wrote:

> at startup.  Dominik Kubla directed me to the configuration file at
> /etc/network/interfaces to set up the ip, netmask, broadcast, and gateway
> addresses, which I configured successfully.  I still have not found a file
> similar to the one you suggested in your response of July 4 (below):
> According to a "How To" document, this file should be at:
> /etc/init.d/network.  However, when I created that file and rebooted, I
> noticed no changes.  Should this information have been added to the
> /etc/network/interfaces file?  Maybe I'll try that tonight.

Configuration file formats and locations are specific to the distribution
you are using.  Using the documentation for another distribution isn't
reliable.

> The other installation is from a Red Hat 6.1 CD set up as a workstation, in
> tandem with windows os.  It uses a D-Link 10-100 nic, and it's default IRQ
> setting is 11, and cannot be changed in netbios or in the system settings in
> windows.  Under windows, I can get out to the internet, but cannot in Red
> Hat Linux.  Running dmesg | more I get the eth0 being set to IRQ 0.  We have
> tried altering the setting in lilo with no success.  We reconfigured the
> kernel which now recognizes the D-Link driver but are stuck on how to reset
> the IRQ.

Your problem isn't with Linux, it's with the BIOS configuration.  Read
   http://www.scyld.com/expert/irq-conflict.html

The diagnostic program at
  http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
detects and reports this problem.

>  From what I have read, the 3com nics are the most Linux friendly,
> so maybe we need to replace the questionable ones with ones that have a
> track record.

A 3Com PCI NIC, or any other NIC, would have the same IRQ0 issue with your
BIOS setup.  PCI IRQs should be assigned in the BIOS, not by the driver.

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Beowulf Clusters / Linux Installations
Annapolis MD 21403

-