Re: your mail

Thanks for your response.  You have been very helpful on several issues.
Your warning about the security risk will be heeded.  I simply cannot get
networking working on Linux for some reason, and thought this might be a way
of testing.  I now have two installations of Linux; one with Debian 2.2 and
one with a CD installation of Red Hat 6.1.

First, the Debian installation has an Etherlink III nic, which is recognized
at startup.  Dominik Kubla directed me to the configuration file at
/etc/network/interfaces to set up the ip, netmask, broadcast, and gateway
addresses, which I configured successfully.  I still have not found a file
similar to the one you suggested in your response of July 4 (below):

"Drilling down through the network boot scripts, just getting networking
up, once the kernel finds your ethernet card at bootup and has the
driver loaded for it, with non-defective card and cable, comes down
to these commands for a non-dynamic-ip setup (no dhcp or bootp):

#!/bin/sh

# add localhost and route for it; route command is directly from the
# route man page

/sbin/ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
/sbin/route add -net 127.0.0.0

# examples below for NETMASK, etc match IPADDR example for host address

IPADDR=[your host ip address] # example: 192.168.1.1
NETMASK=[your netmask]        # example: 255.255.255.0
NETWORK=[your subnet network number] # example: 192.168.1.0
BROADCAST=[broadcast address for your subnet] # example:192.1.168.255
GATEWAY=[host ip address of router]

/sbin/ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} broadcast ${BROADCAST} netmask ${NETMASK}

# route for your subnet

/sbin/route add -net ${NETWORK} netmask ${NETMASK} dev eth0

# route to router

/sbin/route add -host ${GATEWAY} dev eth0

# route for all other subnets (uses host route to router)

/sbin/route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

## end script"

According to a "How To" document, this file should be at:
/etc/init.d/network.  However, when I created that file and rebooted, I
noticed no changes.  Should this information have been added to the
/etc/network/interfaces file?  Maybe I'll try that tonight.

The other installation is from a Red Hat 6.1 CD set up as a workstation, in
tandem with windows os.  It uses a D-Link 10-100 nic, and it's default IRQ
setting is 11, and cannot be changed in netbios or in the system settings in
windows.  Under windows, I can get out to the internet, but cannot in Red
Hat Linux.  Running dmesg | more I get the eth0 being set to IRQ 0.  We have
tried altering the setting in lilo with no success.  We reconfigured the
kernel which now recognizes the D-Link driver but are stuck on how to reset
the IRQ.  From what I have read, the 3com nics are the most Linux friendly,
so maybe we need to replace the questionable ones with ones that have a
track record.

Through all of my hammering and poking, the base systems seem to be
weathering the storm, and so I am sure that I am missing something very
basic to experienced Linux users.

I have a ton of files on CD that I would like to try; for instance a package
called webmin.8 that supposedly is a one-stop configuration tool, but I
can't mount the cdrom on the Debian installation.  On Red Hat, I can use
linuxconf, but have not yet reset the IRQ.  That's another topic, though.
Thanks for your patience on the networking.

Sincerely,

Jake Brooks