Re: Newbie post

On Mon Jul 17 2000 at 00:34, Hariharan L Thantry wrote:

> I guess I need it. Why else do U think I'd be mucking around with it?
> Here's the reason. I need to do some experiments on Differentiated
> services on Linux. I have a few pointers(ITTC and the diffserv website
> apart from a few RFCs), but most of the material is rather ill
> explained...especially with reference to packet marking on a per flow
> basis. For instance, could I do some form of priority queuing on my router
> based on marking (TOSbyte), which I do on the sending side...? I
> could then easily provide some kind of soft guarantee to my TCp flow.
> This could be pretty useful for my experiment...

Hmm, if you are fwmark'ing or TOS-setting packets with ipchains in
the input chain and then making routing decisions in the routing
table according to these fields using multiple routing tables, then
yes, you need it.

And yes, you will need documentation.  Check out:

	all the networking HOWTOs you can find
	/usr/doc/iproute*/*
	/usr/doc/ipchains*/*
	/usr/doc/kernel-doc-*/* (or /usr/src/linux/Documentation/*)

The documentation with iproute is quite good (well, I found it
enough to get myself up and running with it).

You claim to be a newbie.  Wow, this is very deep water for a newbie
to be treading :-)  Good luck.

Cheers
Tony
-