Re: Hardware selection for a Linux based ISP

Hi...
.
Do yourself a big faviour...   Get a Portmaster or a similar external modem
rack.  It's going to save you ALLOT of troubles...  Authentication wise,
yes, it will more than likely be best suited with a Radius configuration.
The other services you require (DNS / Proxy), shouldn't be any real problem
for the amount of users you are talking about.  A standardish linux box will
be able to do the authentication (Radius), aswell as other related services
as you require.

As to your question about the system specs...  Have a look at the Squid web
site (I believe it is at http://squid.nlanr.net)..  They have quite a few
detailed reports about system performance and recommended hardware and usage
and so forth.  It will be well forth the visit for you.

While I'm on this subject...  Does anyone here have a GOOD solution towards
getting Unix based machines to SHARE account / login data with Windows NT?
>From what I heard, the NT port of kerberos isn't compatible, so I can't
really use it.  I can't use a database, because NT doesn't support
authentication from Databases, and I can't use Radius either, because Radius
will only be able to handle dial-up authentication...

A simple scenario would be to have all the account names on say a Linux
Machine, then have NT Authenticate the user over a web interface, from the
passwd db on the Linux Machine.  FTP and Dialup authentication must also
work in a similar fashion.  I've been looking and thinking for a solution
for this now for about the last year - year and a half, and it's REALLY
starting to give me a headache now...  Any help will be appreciated.

Regards
Chris Knipe
Cell: (083) 430-8151
Natural ability without education has more often attained to glory and
virtue, than education without natural ability at all.